Thursday 30 June 2016

Knowing When to Stop (repeat)

I love travelling, but I find it more convenient to go 'public' because, that way I get to observe a lot of things. I observe how people eat, sleep, talk, even how people keep to themselves. Its fun to travel and see the world when you're not driving.

I'll be talking about how people eat today, I have to because of an experience I had last week. Celebrations are unavoidable, when good things happen in Africa we celebrate. This is when we display our new shoes, dresses, and different kinds of dishes are cooked and displayed for your sense of sight, smell and taste. For those of us that are of Nigerian descent you know you cannot mix some types of food. For example, you cannot have moimoi ( beans pudding, the best way to describe it) and pounded yam on the same plate. However, you cannot explain this to a foreigner, you might end up not eating because of the time you will spend explaining.

The preceding is just w preamble. I boarded the same bus the other day, with a woman who was coming from a party. It was a burial, but that doesn't kill the appetite. She had different kinds of food packed in a bag. After settling into her seat, she brought out the pack of pounded yam, she was telling her companion of just how delicious the food was. I watched her with keen interest as she leaked up everything, she was a good eater. She washed her hands and I thought it was over. Alas, the pack of rice came out too , then I began to wonder "which stomach is that going into?".

In life, we ought to know when to say stop to our appetites. Whatever the appetite might be for...food, sex, wine etc. Until we can rule them they might ruin us. The woman in question was obese to say the least, had issues with her knees because of her weight, yet she didn't know when to say 'stop'. No matter the diet or fitness regime we must learn when we have had enough for our body weights. Think about this, before you take the next bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment